ENGLISH WRITING SKILLS
Commonly confused words in English 4
Choose the correct, most logical word (out of the two choices) to complete each of the sentences below:
eg: The priest approached the
1. She didn't eat foods that were
(prescribed/proscribed) (= prohibited) by her religion.
2. They took the
(tortuous/torturous) road through the mountains.
3. He needed to buy notebooks, paper, and other
4. The reporter made an
(allusion/illusion) to Mr. Johnson's criminal past.
5. He handed the
(device/devise) to his brother.
6. He decided that he would stay the
(course/coarse), despite everyone telling him to quit the race.
7. Those green earrings really
(compliment/complement) your green eyes.
8. That's not what she meant. She only
(implied/inferred) that it would be useless to haggle over the price.
(principle/principal) called him into her office.
10. The university was happy to hire such an
Back to list of exercises
OUR OTHER SITES:
CONTACT US: questions (at) englishliteracysite (dot) com
(c) 2016 EnglishLiteracySite.com (a division of LearnEnglishFeelGood.com). All rights reserved. Please read our
before sharing our content.